Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home4/drsimon/public_html/wp-content/plugins/_inbound-now/core/cta/classes/class.cta.render.php on line 351
Healthy Snacks In Less Than 30 Minutes: What you eat between meals matters more than you think. These choices boost metabolism and help you lose weight fast. Americans love to snack almost as much as we want to lose weight. But according to recent research by the USDA, our snacking habits are adding too many calories and too few nutrients to our diets. It doesn’t have to be this way, says Susan Bowerman, RD, assistant director of the UCLA Center for Human Nutrition. “When done right, (snacking) keeps your energy levels up and gives you more opportunities to get in all your nutritional needs.”
Spicy Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos With Lime-Cilantro Yogurt: Who doesn’t love tacos? They’re easy, quick, filling, and versatile. And while there are many ways to go about building the perfect one, few of them tend to be health-conscious. This vegetarian version packs in vitamins, fiber, protein, and a ton of flavor. Serve it on any type of tortilla or leafy green wrap, or make it into taco salad.
· 1 1/2 pounds (about 2 medium) sweet potatoes, cubed
· 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
· 1 tablespoon taco seasoning (or 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon coriander, and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne)
· 1 small onion, finely chopped
· 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
· 1 can (14.5 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
· 1 lime
· 1/2 cup plain yogurt
· 2 tablespoons cilantro, plus additional for garnish
· 4 tortillas
· Cabbage, for garnish (optional)
· Lettuce, for garnish (optional)
· Chayote, for garnish (optional)
· Jicama, for garnish (optional)
· Radish, for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Toss sweet potatoes in a bowl with 3 tablespoons oil, taco spices, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour onto baking sheet in a single layer. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until tender, stirring halfway through.
2. Meanwhile, heat remaining tablespoon oil over medium-high heat in a sauté pan. When hot, add onion and cook 5 to 6 minutes until translucent and starting to brown. In the last 30 seconds, add garlic. Reduce heat to medium-low and add black beans, 1 to 2 pinches salt, and juice from 1/2 lime. Heat until warmed through.
3. To make lime-cilantro yogurt, mix yogurt, juice and zest from remaining 1/2 lime, and cilantro in a small bowl.
4. To serve, warm tortillas by steaming or quickly heating on a skillet. Layer sweet potatoes and black beans on tortilla with garnishes of choice. Top with lime-cilantro yogurt, cilantro, and an extra squeeze lime juice.
Attribution: The article was originally posted in http://greatist.com/ by JOCELYN WEISS