How to Cook Slow Cooker Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps: Cook more for yourself and your family. You’ll likely wind up eating fewer calories, reducing saturated fats and sodium, and increasing the amount of fruits and vegetables on the plate.Studies have shown that cooking at home five days a week could add 10 years to your life. That’s high motivation, and these easy dinners put it all within reach.
Here is a recipe for a heart friendly healthy protein dish:
- 2 lbs ground chicken (not ground chicken breast)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (8 oz) can sliced water chestnuts, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white or brown rice
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar and 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil (optional)
- 2 heads iceberg lettuce
- Place ground chicken and garlic in a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave mixture, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink, about 5 – 6 minutes. Drain off liquid and pour mixture into a 5 – 7 quart slow cooker. Add bell pepper, onion, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper and toss mixture. Cover and cook on low heat 2 – 3 hours until chicken is tender.
- Stir in water chestnuts, cooked rice, green onions, rice vinegar, and sesame oil, cook until heated through 3 – 5 minutes. Season with additional salt as desired. Separate iceberg lettuce leaves and serve with chicken filling.
Download Free “Heart Friendly” Recipes: Click Here